Purchases By Check
When a customer pays for a purchase by personal check, the Georgia Fair Business Practices Act (O.C.G.A. Section 10-1-393.3) specifies the information a business may collect for identification.
You may not imprint or copy the consumer’s credit or debit card number as a condition of purchase by check. However, you may:
- Request a driver’s license number.
- Ask to see a credit or debit card as a form of identification.
- Record the type of credit card and expiration date on the check.
- Record a credit card number and expiration date, if the credit card company has agreed to guarantee checks as a special service to its cardholders.
- Record an address and telephone number.