• Try to resolve your problem with the company

    Often you can resolve a dispute by talking to a person in a position of authority at the business, such as a manager or even the company president.  They want your business and know it is usually easier to resolve a dispute and keep a good customer than it is to find a new one.

    In the case of disputed charges on your credit card bill, you must act quickly to preserve your right to challenge a charge. This means not only working with the merchant to rectify the situation, but also notifying the credit card company directly, in writing, within 60 days of the initial billing date. More information on how and where to file your dispute should appear on the back of your credit card statement.

  • Gather more information

    Before you submit a complaint to the Georgia Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division, check our list of common consumer issues in our A-Z Consumer Topics.  Before you take the time to submit a complaint to this office, identify the appropriate place to report your problem and whether the Georgia Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division is the designated office to handle it.  This will help you get your complaint to the right place the first time and avoid delays. 

    • If the problem involves an allegation of an unfair or deceptive business practice or otherwise falls within our responsibility—and you are still dissatisfied after making every effort to discuss your disagreement with the merchant—send us your complaint, and we will take appropriate action.

    Know the information you need to file

    • Information You Should Gather

      Your complaint should answer these basic questions:

      • What? Describe as completely as you can the problem you are having with a product or service you purchased, leased or rented.  Include enough information for us to understand the situation and why you believe it is a problem.  For example, were you told something that was untrue?  If so, describe what you were told and why you believe it was untrue.  Is something defective? If so, explain what was wrong.
      • Who? Identify the name and address of the business with which you are having a problem.  Include the names of all the people with whom you have dealt in your attempt to resolve this problem.
      • How? Explain how you approached or were approached by the business.  Did you respond to a print ad, or did you receive a telephone solicitation?  Did you visit a store or order on the Internet?
      • Where?/When? Identify the location where the problem occurred and the date (or the first point in time, if it took place over several days, weeks or months.)  These two pieces of information are crucial in determining whether we have jurisdiction to address the dispute.
      • How do you want the dispute to be resolved? Do you want a refund?  Cancellation of your contract?  Repair or replacement of the product?  Since we mediate some of the complaints we receive, we need to know what resolution you desire should we accept the complaint for mediation.
      • How can we contact you? It is of vital importance that you give us your mailing address, an e-mail address and a daytime phone number so that we may contact you as needed.
  • Filing Your Complaint

    There are three ways to contact Georgia Department of Law's Consumer Protection Division and submit information to us.

    • Submit an online complaint

      Complete our online form. You can attach up to 3 attachments to your online submission. 

      The total file size of your attachment(s) may not exceed 10MB.

    • Send in a paper form

      Download, print and complete our Consumer Complaint Form (in Download this pdf file. ENGLISH or Download this pdf file. SPANISH ) and submit it by mail or fax to 404-651-9018. We do not accept e-mails. 

      • Although you are not required to use this form, your complaint must describe your problem chronologically and must be accompanied by copies of relevant documents, such as invoices, contracts, or previous correspondence with the business.
      • We will accept faxed complaints if they are not more than 5 pages in length, including the attachments - all of which must be legible.  Longer complaints and those involving documents with light or small print must be mailed, instead of faxed, to avoid unnecessary delays due to illegibility.
    • Call us

      Call us at 404-651-8600 or 1-800-869-1123 (toll-free in Georgia). Our representatives are available weekdays between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Thursday, and 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM on Friday. 

      Please note that you will be asked to submit your complaint in writing if the issue appears to be one in which we would consider taking action.

      If your problem is in the jurisdiction of another state or federal agency, you will be directed to that agency.

  • Once we receive your complaint

    We will review your complaint and take action on behalf of the consuming public as appropriate.  We may refer any complaint to another agency or, depending on the nature of your claim, we may communicate with the business involved before responding to you.  Georgia Department of Law's Consumer Protection Division does not act as a judge in the dispute and cannot force the business to reimburse you or comply in any other way.  The matter may escalate to an investigation if the company has shown a pattern of similar violations that fall under our jurisdiction.

    We do respond to complaints.  Most of our communication is by letter or e-mail.  We deal with a large number of complaints each day, and thorough reviews take time.  Understand that you will not receive an immediate reply from our office and please refrain from calling for status reports unless several months have passed.

    Your complaint helps to inform us about problems facing Georgia consumers and about companies which may be operating fraudulently in our state.  Even if the matter is resolved, forwarding a statement of your experience, with relevant documentation, might help us establish a pattern of unlawful business practices against this company.