Tanning Equipment (Part 2)
Tanning facilities are not allowed to advertise or distribute promotional materials that claim using a tanning device is safe or free from risk, or that the use of a tanning device will result in medical or health benefits.
This requirement is applicable to all tanning facilities. A tanning facility is any location, place, area, structure, or business which provides consumers access to tanning equipment. A tanning facility includes tanning salons, health clubs, apartments, or condominiums regardless, of whether a fee is charged for access to the tanning equipment.
The tanning facility owner or operator must ensure that each consumer is provided with a written warning statement requiring his or her signature prior to their first use of the facility’s beds, and before renewals of contracts. The warning statement must include all of the following information:
- Failure to use the eye protection provided to the consumer by the tanning facility may result in damage to the eyes.
- Overexposure to ultraviolet radiation produced by the tanning devices causes burns.
- Repeated exposure to the ultraviolet radiation produced by the tanning devices may result in premature aging of the skin, skin cancer, or both.
- Abnormal skin sensitivity to ultraviolet radiation or burning may be caused by reactions to certain foods, cosmetics, or medication. Such medication includes, but is not limited to, tranquilizers, diuretics, antibiotics, high blood pressure medicine, and birth control pills.
- Any person taking a prescription or over-the-counter drug should consult a physician before using a tanning device.
- A person with skin that always burns easily or never tans should avoid using a tanning device; and
- A person with a family or past medical history of skin cancer should avoid using a tanning device.
Minors 14 years of age or over but under 18 years of age may not be allowed to use tanning equipment unless the minor's parent or legal guardian signs a written consent form. The consent form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian at the tanning facility before the minor may use the equipment or facility.