Lemon Law Complaint Process
Have you experienced continuing problems with a motor vehicle that you purchased new or leased new in Georgia? If so, the Lemon Law provides a self-help process for you.
The Georgia Department of Law's Consumer Protection Division administers Georgia’s Lemon Law, which is designed first and foremost to help you get your defective vehicle repaired. If the manufacturer fails to repair a recurring problem after a reasonable number of attempts and you meet certain eligibility requirements, you may apply for a state arbitration hearing. An arbitration panel may hear your complaint to decide whether you are entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund.
The Lemon Law requires you, the consumer, to follow certain steps. We have prepared this guide to supplement the Statement, or information sheet, you should have received from the dealer at the time of your purchase or lease. Our guide will help you determine whether you and your vehicle are eligible and, if so, how to proceed. Not all of these steps may apply to you, and it is possible for your dispute to be resolved at any time during the process.
- First, please review our answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions for information you will need to know about eligibility and possible remedies.
- Next, please sign in one time to have these instructions forwarded to you by e-mail and to help the Georgia Department of Law's Consumer Protection Division assist you in the future, should you decide to pursue your claim under the Lemon Law.
- Then, read the Steps to Follow thoroughly and follow all instructions. In order to comply with what the law requires, it is very important that you complete each step in the order given before proceeding to the next. These guidelines are a general summary of the law, which you can read in its entirety in the O.C.G.A. Sections 10-1-780 et seq. You may encounter a few unfamiliar terms, or words used with a unique meaning, in the Lemon Law statute.
- Any form you will need during the different stages of this process are available here on our website - on either the specific Step instruction page or on the Additional Lemon Law Forms.
- The Lemon Law process is designed so that you, the consumer, are not required to hire an attorney, and in fact, most consumers proceed without one. The decision whether or not to hire an attorney is an individual consumer decision.
Should you have any questions throughout the process, feel free to contact this office.